BSD logo

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sat Jul 24 21:49:17 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 02:59:25PM -0400, Jerry McAllister wrote:

> In ancient lore there was a bunch friendly characters who hung
> around out of sight and waited for a being - human being mostly -
> to need help.  One of those creatures would slip in and somewhat
> mysteriously do little things to help - not necessarily fix the
> whole problem, but place something in the human's way that can help
> them solve the problem.  These merry creatures were called daemons
> - pronounced  day-mohn.   I guess they are sort of like friendly
> sprites of elves.

Actually, "daemon" is a Latinization of the Greek "daimon".  Daimon is
pronounced something more like "die-mahn", but (being from the Latin)
daemon is prounounced "dee-mohn".  Unix tradition holds that "daemon" is
pronounced similarly to the Latin fashion (in practice, roughly like
"dee-muhn" by English speakers).

> This has come up on this list a hundred times.   Far better to educate
> those who are poorly informed than to roll over to prejudice and
> misinformation.

I agree.  Good work.