BSD logo

Chip Camden sterling at camdensoftware.com
Sat Jul 24 17:38:09 UTC 2010

Quoth Chad Perrin on Saturday, 24 July 2010:
> Disclaimer:
>
> I do not represent the FreeBSD project in any way, shape, or form.  I am
> certain any such people would be much nicer and more polite about this
> than me.  I'm sure I would be much nicer and more polite about it if I
> became a representative of the FreeBSD project at some point in the
> future.  Because I am not officially affiliated with the project at all,
> though, I feel free to be brutally honest.
>

> On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 06:01:07AM +0400, Victor Skovorodnikov wrote:
> >
> > This may sound strange but I have a question about logo.  Why such a
> > logo for BSD?  What is the meaning of that logo?
>
> It's a reference to "daemons", a type of software that runs in the
> background "listening" for connections.  The term "daemon" has ancient
> roots in Greek mythology and has nothing to do with more recent Christian
> notions of "demons".  In short, mythological "daemons" are basically just
> supernatural beings of lower power and stature than the pantheon of Greek
> gods, and computer "daemons" are helpful programs.
>

> > I have always been thinking of trying FreeBSD but as a Christian I get
> > deterred by its un-Christian logo.
>
> Good grief.  Are you referring to the cartoon character?
>
> It's a cartoon character.  It's not an attempt to lure your children to
> join Satan's armies.  There's no reason to be "deterred" from giving
> FreeBSD a try just because of a friendly cartoon character.
>
> People who value their wool socks should not be deterred from using MS
> products because of the stupid moth mascot used by MSN, and those who
> dislike arctic climates shouldn't be deterred from using Linux-based
> systems because Linux uses a penguin as its mascot.  By the same token,
> the notion that a red cartoon character with horns should deter a
> Christian from using FreeBSD is kind of silly.
>
> I was a member of a military unit known as the Red Devils years ago.  I
> did not feel like I was being corrupted by Evil.  Perhaps you would be
> deterred from being my friend because of this, nonetheless.  If that is
> the case, though, I think I'm better off without you.
>
> While I normally prefer to take an inclusive approach to dealing with
> people who run into obstacles in their approach to thinking about OSes,
> there are cases where I simply feel the urge to throw my hands in the air
> and giving up on someone.  Such cases are those where it seems likely
> that some kind of closed-minded idolatry (which is exactly what this is:
> taking a cartoony mascot as some kind of Manifest Presence of a
> supernatural, superhuman Force, Principle, or Being) is going on.  Either
> you will get over it, or you will not, and it is only a very faint hope
> that pointing out the ludicrousness of your objection that compels me to
> respond at all.
>
> If you're talking about the weird sex toy thing that has become the
> new(er) official FreeBSD logo, however, it seems the FreeBSD project
> [...]

"abrasive" -- maybe.  But this was a most enjoyable read.

I don't suppose our Christian friend opposes hot cross buns or Christmas
trees.  Then again, some Christians do.

--
Sterling (Chip) Camden    | sterling at camdensoftware.com | 2048D/3A978E4F
http://camdensoftware.com | http://chipstips.com        | http://chipsquips.com