BSD logo

Alejandro Imass ait at p2ee.org
Sat Jul 24 14:33:19 UTC 2010

2010/7/23 Victor Skovorodnikov <vic_sk at mail.ru>:
> Hi!
>
> This may sound strange but I have a question about logo.  Why such a logo for BSD?  What is the
> meaning of that logo?

Strange in deed, it sounds. At first I really thought it was funny,
but after consulting the infinite wisdom of my wife (actually I read
it to her making fun of it), she immediately said "well if the logo
was a priest I am sure it would make _you_ uncomfortable as well...".
Which, of course, immediately wiped off the smile from my face, and
suddenly the issue at hand was not so funny.

> I have always been thinking of trying FreeBSD but as a Christian I get deterred by its un-Christian
> logo.

I am not a religious man myself, but if the logo had any religious
meaning to me I am sure I could better understand Victor's issues.
Seems silly, but if it was the other way around I'm sure _many_ people
here would probably concur in the discomfort of using an OS who's logo
was some sort of religion symbol, say a Christian Cross, Egyptian
Ankh, David Star, Muslim Moon, or a Satanic Encircled Five Point Star.

> Have you considered changing it to something else?  Doesn't have to be an angel, but perhaps
> something neutral ;-) ?

My conclusion and advice to yo Victor is:

FBSD's logo a cute cartoon character that can indeed be thought of
representing a Daemon and I am sure that there was no bad (satanic)
intention in the usage of the "little red devil". It's just a funny
little character, but again it would make me really uncomfortable if
it was a religious symbol of any kind, even if was a cartoon. Many
would probably argue that a devil is in fact a religious symbol, so
honestly I am left with doubt on the issue. Again, I am not religious
except for the fact I am religious against _fanatical_ religion and/or
any extremism of _any_ sort.

In the end, I personally ___love___ the logo and I would ___never___
like to see it changed!!!

Best,
Alejandro Imass