BSD logo

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 04:17:03 UTC 2010

On 7/23/10, Victor Skovorodnikov <vic_sk at mail.ru> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> This may sound strange but I have a question about logo.  Why such a logo
> for BSD?  What is the
> meaning of that logo?
>
> I have always been thinking of trying FreeBSD but as a Christian I get
> deterred by its un-Christian
> logo.
>
> Have you considered changing it to something else?  Doesn't have to be an
> angel, but perhaps
> something neutral ;-) ?

While everyone will have their own interpretation of what the logo is,
it is not a demon.  It's a daemon (servers are full of little
daemons).

Personally, I think of the freebsd (only) logo as an avatar, which
means you can make FreeBSD act in any way you want it to.  Server,
Router, Fileserver, various daemons, desktop, embedded, clustering..
so many choices...

And please don't generalize.  the "BSD logo" is not the same for all
the variants of BSD.  OpenBSD is a blowfish, NetBSD is a flag, FreeBSD
is an avatar, plus each offshoot of their own respective systems.