system hangs on; "Probing devices, please wait (this can take a while)... "

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Wed Jul 21 11:29:40 UTC 2010

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:56:50 +0100
"Dave" <dave at g8kbv.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi, I'm not a developer (of OS's at least) but from that DEBUG:
> list, it almost looks like it thinks it can see just about every
> hardware device it knows about, existing or not, and is trying to
> use them all.

The debug output is saying that it can't open the vast majority of the
devices it's trying. The device_names array just contains a list of all
devices sysinstall knows about: for USB mass storage devices it tries
to open da0-da15. I guess it's not been updated for devfs where it
should see which device nodes actually exist - or, better, use geom to
enumerate the devices.

--
Bruce Cran