Wifi AP behind FreeBSD

Erik Nørgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Tue Jul 20 19:57:56 UTC 2010

On 20/07/2010, at 21.09, DadAN <dadans at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I am planning to change my network a little,
> I need to put WiFi AP (Dlink Di-524) behind FreeBSD box,
> there are 2 nic in this box - one should be for internet (xl0)
> and another should use xl1 nic for WiFi AP.
>
> I need to know how to setup routing in FreeBSD box,
> could someone help?

You need to enable routing in the kernel, I've forgotten the kernel variable but do sysctl -a | grep rout

Enable routing setting the variable to 1.

Since you have a private network connecting to the Internet you need to configure nat. There are different solutions, I prefer packet filter.

> And also when someone connect via WiFi, I want to get connected to internet.
> Now I use 192.168.0.0/24 adresses from WiFi AP dhcp.
> FreeBSD 8.0

That's ok just configure the internal interface in that range. It should be possible to configure the AP so it won't assign ti ip of your freebsd box.

You need to configure the AP such that the clients get default gateway set to the ip on the internal interface of your freebsd box.

BR Erik.