system hangs on; "Probing devices, please wait (this can take a while)... "

CyberLeo Kitsana cyberleo at cyberleo.net
Tue Jul 20 17:17:12 UTC 2010

On 07/20/2010 02:42 AM, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> I've wondered why FreeBSD installation sets (base, etc, games, comp, man and others) are broken into pieces of 1392 KB each as opposed to each installation set in a single .tgz or .tbz (base.tgz, etc.tgz, comp.tgz, and others: that's how NetBSD does it).  NetBSD installation CD also offers a utility shell (sh).  With floppy disks and floppy drives showing their age, I wouldn't be able to get enough good floppy disks together to install FreeBSD from floppies...

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it's because not everyone who uses
FreeBSD is on a broadband connection, and a 56MB download (just for
base.??) is a bit too large to fetch in a single session, if for some
reason you are unable to resume the transfer after interruption.

But the floppy thing might be a good reason too. Especially since all
you really need is one working floppy disk and two floppy-drive-equipped
computers to do it.

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo