Is there a script to upgrade i386 system to amd64 ?

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Mon Jul 19 02:43:36 UTC 2010

In the last episode (Jul 18), Yuri said:
> Since this is something that potentially almost everyone would need at
> least once this should be made very easy for the end user.

When I did it, I believe I just made copies of /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib
to ../lib32 (so 32-bit ports would still work), installed the 64-bit kernel
and world, rebooted, then upgraded all the ports over a week or so.  I was
running zfs so I made a snapshot of the 32-bit system as it was just before
the install.  A 64-bit buildworld and GENERIC kernel both default to
enabling 32-bit support and compat libraries, and I believe a 64-bit kernel
will boot and run a 32-bit world, so compatibility is good.

Just be aware that binary file formats for programs installed via ports may
differ, so things like rrdtool datafiles and mysql databases will need to be
dumped to text form and reloaded.  That's where the 32-bit snapshot came in
handy (so I had access to the 32-bit binaries after my port upgrades
finished and could dump using old binaries then reload using the new ones as
I discovered problems).

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com