Digital camera for FreeBSD

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Jul 18 17:06:19 UTC 2010

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 12:21:42 -0400, Robert Ames <robertames at hotmail.com> wrote:

> If such a thing does exist, can someone recommend a simple point
> and shoot digital camera that you can connect to a FreeBSD machine
> via a USB cable and have access to the images via a (presumably
> MS-DOS based) filesystem?

Let me first make sure that I answer correctly: I do interpret your
question about a "point and shoot digital camera" as a question
regarding a photo camera primarily, not a movie camera. I hope
that's correct.

Nearly all cameras work - either by accessing the FAT file system
on the card (or internal memory), or by PTP commands - both should
be standard, and some cameras can even be switched from one to the
other standard.

I own the following (digital) cameras, all working with FreeBSD
(list position indicates quality, quite):
	- Canon PowerShot S3 IS
	- Kodak EasyShare CX6330
	- HP PhotoSmart M407
	- Mustek MDC 3500
	- Aiptec Pencam (AEG Snap 300)

Basically, you can use nearly ANY camera with FreeBSD. It's just
important that at least ONE of the existing access standards is
supported by the camera - USB direct storage access or PTP
functionality.

(I'm concentrating on USB cameras here, allthough Firewire based
cameras should also work, but I don't own any, so I can't be more
precise about this interface.)

There's also a workaround you should know about: If the camera
does NOT allow you to access its files through the camera, you
often can eject a SD or CF card. Many PCs today include readers
for those media. And if the reader complies to USB standards, it
can be used with FreeBSD.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany