GUI for AC

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Sat Jul 17 15:22:56 UTC 2010

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 319, Issue 10, Message: 18
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 07:48:38 -0400 Jerry <freebsd.user at seibercom.net> wrote:
 > On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 18:04:56 +1000 (EST)
 > Ian Smith <smithi at nimnet.asn.au> articulated:
 >
 > > In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 319, Issue 9, Message: 24
 > > On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 07:26:18 -0400 Jerry <freebsd.user at seibercom.net> wrote:
 > >  > On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 09:17:25 +0530
 > >  > Ashish SHUKLA <ashish at FreeBSD.org> articulated:
 > >  >
 > >  > > I've not used KDE since they released KDE 4, but IIRC, KDE 3.5.x used to have
 > >  > > ACL support integrated in it[1] by default. Are you sure there isn't any such
 > >  > > setting you probably missing during compilation in KDE 4.x ?
 > >  > >
 > >  >
 > >  > No really. You cannot add users or change individual user's permissions
 > >  > via KDE's default file browser. Obviously, I can accomplish most of
 > >  > what I want to do from the command line, abet more slowly and error
 > >  > prone.
 > >
 > > Does that represent a regression in KDE4 from KDE3.5.x?

Does anybody know if this is or is not the case with KDE4?

 > >  > Having read up on a few Googled items, it appears that FreeBSD has not
 > >  > matured sufficiently yet to allow full integration of ACLs. Supposedly,
 > >  > 9.x will offer better integration.
 > >
 > > Integration with what?  KDE?
 > >
 > > Perhaps I googled a little harder Jerry, but thanks to Robert Watson's
 > > TrustedBSD framework, FreeBSD has supported POSIX 1.e ACLs since 5.1 and
 > > NFSv4 ACLs in 8-STABLE for quite a while now; they'll be in 8.1-RELEASE
 > > for both UFS and ZFS filesystems.
 > >
 > > Maybe it's the predominantly Linux-centric KDE that has not yet matured
 > > sufficiently to include support for FreeBSD ACLs?  As Carmel memtioned,
 > > the (as usual) excellent article by Dru Lavigne on using FreeBSD ACLs at
 > > http://onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2005/09/22/FreeBSD_Basics.html demonstrated
 > > using Gnome's Nautilus enhanced by the port sysutils/eiciel - in 2005.
 > >
 > > Among the many other useful results from googling 'FreeBSD ACLs':
 > >
 > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_control_list
 > > http://wiki.freebsd.org/NFSv4_ACLs
 > > http://wiki.freebsd.org/Releng/8.1TODO/
 >
 > Per wiki: "support so called POSIX.1e ACLs, based on an early POSIX
 > draft that was abandoned".

Let's have that quote from the wikipedia page in a little more context:

"Most of the Unix and Unix-like operating systems (e.g. Linux,[1] BSD, or
Solaris) support so called POSIX.1e ACLs, based on an early POSIX draft
that was abandoned. Many of them, for example AIX, Mac OS X beginning
with version 10.4 ("Tiger"), or Solaris with ZFS filesystem[2], support
NFSv4 ACLs, which are part of the NFSv4 standard. FreeBSD 9-CURRENT
supports NFSv4 ACLs on both UFS and ZFS file systems; full support is
expected to be backported to version 8.1[3]. There is an experimental
implementation of NFSv4 ACLs for Linux.[4]"

 > My original statement is still valid, FreeBSD has still not released a
 > stable version of its OS that fully supports the latest acl standards.

Ignoring the fact that anyone running 8-STABLE has had these for a good
while, yes, that will be true of FreeBSD -RELEASE versions for days or
perhaps weeks yet, regarding the newer NFSv4 ACLs.

Can you provide a link to where 'the latest ACL standards' are defined,
and say which, if any, OS you consider 'fully integrated' with them?

Thanks, Ian