FreeBSD vs YouTube

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 14 17:15:18 UTC 2010

>I'm pretty new to this mailing list, and FreeBSD, in the last 2 weeks i was trying to use
>FreeBSD as alternative to Windows, but i can't make the flash videos work on most of the
>popular flash video sites. I've tried to pkg_add, compile from source, swfdec-plugin,
>gnash on FreeBSD 7.3 and 8.1 ... but nothing worked, i can use mplayer to play movies
>so this shouldn't be a problem, when i use swfdec, there are some unhandled event
>(usually unhandled event 19) and sometimes can't write to a $HOME/.config/filename file,
>and with gnash i see an error occurred, please try again later message on the site. I've
>tried googling but most of the articles i found seemed outdated. So finally i came here
>with the question: Is it possible to watch youtube on a FreeBSD system ? And if it is,
>someone would be so kind to guide me to a FAQ / Article / wiki /

The open-source alternatives are improving, but for the moment, you
may have to use

www/linux-f10-flashplugin10

(or an earlier version) for Flash.  That means you'll have to enable
Linux emulation.  See Chapter 10 of the Handbook for details.  Or you
could bypass the Flash requirements of some sites, with one or more
of:

multimedia/cclive
multimedia/clive
multimedia/clive-utils