FreeBSD vs YouTube

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Jul 14 17:01:46 UTC 2010

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 18:26:02 +0200 (CEST), paul <paul_ at freemail.hu> wrote:
> Hy
> I'm pretty new to this mailing list, and FreeBSD, in the last
> 2 weeks i was trying to use FreeBSD as alternative to Windows,
> but i can't make the flash videos work on most of the popular
> flash video sites.

Oh... "Flash" video, the purpose of "Windows"... :-)

> I've tried to pkg_add, compile from source, swfdec-plugin,
> gnash on FreeBSD 7.3 and 8.1 ... but nothing worked,

Have a look here:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/desktop-browsers.html

See 6.2.3 - "Firefox and Macromedia® Flash™ Plugin". I had such
a setup working on FreeBSD 7, but due to the fact that the web
is much more annoying with "Flash", I wiped it off the disk very
soon. But this setting should work.

There are other ideas, such as using wine and a "Windows" based
browser and plugin.

> i can use mplayer to play movies so this shouldn't be a problem,

You can use mplayer together with the program youtube-dl. It will
download "Flash" video in swf format (or avi if -a is given).

> when i use swfdec, there are some unhandled event (usually
> unhandled event 19) and sometimes can't write to a
> $HOME/.config/filename file,

I never was lucky using swfdec...

> and with gnash i see an error occurred, please try again later
> message on the site.

I don't think gnash is sufficiently developed.

> I've tried googling but most of the articles i found seemed outdated.
> So finally i came here with the question: Is it possible to watch
> youtube on a FreeBSD system ? And if it is, someone would be so kind
> to guide me to a FAQ / Article / wiki / or tell me how to do it ?

As I said, if it's just youtube, use youtube-dl and mplayer. It
works *perfectly*.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany