How to kill process if X is frozen during fancy KDE4 windows effects?

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Mon Jul 12 21:47:56 UTC 2010

I run KDE4 with nvidia card. KDE4 desktop effects are on, so when window
comes back from the icon it goes through some motion slowly blowing out
from the icon.

Very rarely, but screen freezes during such motion. Mouse still moves,
window that was blowing out of the icon stays in the shape of curved
triangle. Keyboard is frozen, Ctrl-Alt-FN doesn't switch to black
terminal. I can only connect to the host from outside and kill the
unfortunate X-client that caused the hang. After this it works just fine
again.

My question is: what to do if there is no other host on the net? How to
kill the process?

Yuri