Freebsd Firefox problems

Sander Janssen s.janssen at xs4all.nl
Sat Jul 10 21:03:02 UTC 2010

Hartmann, O. wrote:
> On 07/10/10 02:46, Sander Janssen wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am currently having the same problems you were having with firefox
>> 3.6 on FreeBSD in February (I found the threads on the Freebsd-Ports
>> mailing list). The thread doesn't seem to come up with an answer and I
>> am wondering if you managed to solve the problem?
>>
>> I am talking about firefox crashing when you use a context menu. I
>> have tried a portupgrade -Rf firefox to try to recompile every depency
>> but nothing has any effect. In my case thunderbird works correctly.
>>
>> Any information would be useful.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Sander
>
> Hello.
> I have still this obscure problems. When "gettext" was updated and we
> have had to update any dependend port, within this procedure Firefox 3.6
> worked correctly as expected. But after the update was performed,
> everything remained as it was before. I did several times portmaster -f
> (which is the same as -R with portupgrade) to build every necessary
> port, but with no effect. I also performed the one-day-taking gettext
> update and, additionaly, I recompiled every port (nearly 1000 on my
> systems). No effect.
> When delegating the client firefox to another X terminal, say to my
> workstation at home (login with ssh -Y for X11 portforwarding), no
> problems occur, so I guess the problem is riggered by X11 on the local
> machine and especially with the ATI radeonhd driver (which does not work
> correctly on many boxes and with low end Radeon HD 46XX or 47XX cards).
> I have no idea. I use Opera for now on the machine in question.
>
> Regards,
> Oliver

Well, I am running a nvidia 7600gs with the proprietary nvidia driver so
that doesn't seem to be the problem.

I can use the linux-firefox port and that one runs correctly but it
crashes when opening flash content (which the normal firefox does fine
even though it crashes when I open a context box or open a bookmark).

Thanks anyway,
Sander