Writes to Hard Disk Going Beyond Capacity

Patrick Donnelly batrick at batbytes.com
Sat Jul 10 07:33:47 UTC 2010

Hi List,

I have a strange problem in a C program I wrote. I open a hard disk
character file (/dev/ad1) and attempt to write over the entire disk. I
expect the last write that would go beyond the hard disk length
(capacity) to return with an error but instead the write succeeds.
This happens for hundreds of gigabytes beyond the file (hard drive)
length. What could be wrong? (This program works fine on Linux. The
last write that would go beyond the end of the hard drive returns with
-1.)

Thanks for any help,

--
- Patrick Donnelly