fetchmail certificate verification messages

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Wed Jul 7 20:55:58 UTC 2010

In the last episode (Jul 07), Marco Beishuizen said:
> On Tue, 6 Jul 2010, Dan Nelson wrote:
>
> > CA Roots are also self-signed, btw :)  Addtrust is a valid CA Root, and is
> > the root for some certificates signed by Network Solutions and Comodo (and
> > probably others).  Marco, the fetchmail manpage mentions a --sslcertfile
> > option; try adding "--sslcertfile /etc/ssl/cert.pem" to force fetchmail to
> > use the ca_root_nss file you installed previously.  IMHO openssl should
> > automatically consult that file, but apparently it doesn't.
>
> Where do I add the "--sslcertfile" option? I do have a /etc/ssl/cert.pem
> file and fetchmail is started at boot-time (in rc.conf). The starting
> script of fetchmail in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ isn't something to be changed
> I think. Or do I add the option in the .fetchmailrc file?

It's a commandline option, and from reading the manpage, apparently can be
added to a fetchmailrc:

       Almost all options have a corresponding keyword which can be used
       to declare them in a .fetchmailrc file.
[...]
       --sslcertfile <file>
              (Keyword: sslcertfile, since v6.3.17)
              Sets the file fetchmail uses to look up local certificates.

If you wanted to add it to the commandline, you could put this in your
/etc/rc.conf:  fetchmail_flags="--sslcertfile"

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com