Is it safe to modify a port's makefile

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Tue Jul 6 03:12:49 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 07:54:45PM -0700, Caleb Stein wrote:
> Thank you, just the kind of answer I was looking for.  Now is the
> opportunity for a more detailed answer.  After reading that page, it
> seemed like those instructions would either install i386 over amd64, or
> make your amd64 think it's i386.  Now, I may be wrong, but I sure don't
> want my amd64 turning into or thinking it's an i386.

The instructions are for building wine/i386 on a amd64 environment.
You will end up with i386 binaries, but the base will be under
/compat/i386. Provided your kernel has COMPAT_FREEBSD32, it will be
able to run wine/i386 in /compat/i386/usr/local/bin.

All your amd64 binaries will still be there from / downwards.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>