Fully redundant NAS with HAST + ucarp + ZFS + NFS

Mickaël Canévet canevet at embl.fr
Mon Jul 5 09:03:39 UTC 2010

Hi,

I just installed 2 servers with FreeBSD 8.1rc2 and configured block
level replication with HAST and fail-over with ucarp. It works like a
charm, replication is pretty fast (35MB/s on my one disk system) and
fail-over works great.

Now I would like to export some ZFS volumes over NFS (for the moment,
but CIFS and iSCSI probably later).

When I mount a client over the VIP, fail-over works well for directory
listing, but as soon as I try to do copy a file and switch node, the
copy freeze.

I suppose it's because I have to share some kind of temporary directory
also over my two server. On Linux, I would probably share /var/lib/nfs
also, but on FreeBSD I'm a little bit lost.

Is it possible to solve my problem by sharing information over my two
NFS servers ?

Will I have the same problem (or another one) with CIFS and/or iSCSI
export ?

Thank you in advance for your answers, and a big bravo for all the
developers that bring that kind of stuffs to us.

Mickaël