Global backup solution for FBSD & Ubuntu

bsd bsd at todoo.biz
Sun Jul 4 21:43:15 UTC 2010

Hello,

I am trying to build a global backup solution for couple of strategic servers (7) based on two operating systems :

- FreeBSD (6 - 7 // soon 7 - 8)
- Ubuntu 8.04 LTS

These servers are hosting some strategic components mainly related to DNS infrastructure and databases.

For the moment I am backing up these server using network based backup solution:

- A "duplicity" based solution which backs up key directories in my infrastructure on a remote FTP server provided by my hosting company.
- A "dump" of some key components which I am doing on regular basis for FreeBSD servers.
- Duplicity is also used for the Ubuntu servers.
- Databases are replicated "live" on a remote server using "slony" for the most strategic ones (Postgres DB) and using mysql dump export for MySQL.

• I am not a 100% sure these solutions will allow me to restart rapidly from a crash, specially for Ubuntu servers.
• I would like to know which solution(s) you have deployed at what cost for what results ?

I am actually considering couple of different solutions

- SAIT solution and backula.
- Disk based solution (maybe also with backula).
…

I have couple of servers that will reach their end of life that could be recycled as backup solution at a very convenient price…

Thanks for you help.

Gregober ---> PGP ID --> 0x1BA3C2FD
bsd @at@ todoo.biz