Getting kernel trap 12 During Boot Of 8.1-PRERELEASE

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sun Jul 4 15:32:34 UTC 2010

Tim Daneliuk <tundra at tundraware.com> writes:

> I've seen this twice now - once last Sunday, and once again today
> when I tried to do a build/installworld/kernel with daily sources
> from the master tree:
>
>   http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=qmhizdtnhyo&thumb=4

That asked me to jump through too many hoops over multiple domains, so I
didn't actually see it.  I'll assume it's just more information on the
error in your subject line.

> The system boots fine single-user, so I don't suspect the base
> kernel functionality.

Maybe.

What you should do is install the kernel *before* the userland.  If you
already did that, then make sure youtry with a GENERIC kernel.