Just want to ask

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Sat Jul 3 16:26:49 UTC 2010

> From utisoft at gmail.com  Sat Jul  3 09:36:02 2010
> From: Chris Rees <utisoft at gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 15:36:00 +0100
> Subject: Re: Just want to ask
> To: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk at queernet.org>
> Cc: Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk>,
>         "questions at freebsd.org" <questions at freebsd.org>,
>         "esra_peranginangin at yahoo.com" <esra_peranginangin at yahoo.com>,
>         Robert Bonomi <bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com>
>
> On 29 June 2010 19:18, Roger B.A. Klorese <rogerk at queernet.org> wrote:
> > On Jun 29, 2010, at 11:13 AM, Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:
> >>
> >> Whether or not he agrees with them is a matter of philosophical interest
> >> only, so long as he keeps to the terms.
> >
> > Agree TO them, not agree WITH them. _______________________________________________
>
> As I remember, agree _to_ is valid only when followed by a verb
> infinitive (which is indeed where the `to' comes from);

False to fact.

To 'agree to' a _thing_, means you will comply with the permissions, terms,
limitations, restrictions, etc. that that 'thing' specifies -- e.g., "I agree
to the terms of your offer."

Note, the 'to' above, is a preposition, _not_ part of an infinitive verb. :)

To 'agree with' something is merely a satement of 'emotional viewpoint', and
is not binding in any way. To 'agree to' something is a binding (to whatever
degree) commitment to comply with the constraints that that 'something' lays
out.