KDE post-install steps

Chris Stankevitz chrisstankevitz at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 2 23:13:26 UTC 2010

--- On Fri, 7/2/10, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> I think KDE also relies on DBUS and HAL

Ok

> and activating the KDE login manager
> for X (kdm) requires an entry in /etc/ttys similar to the
> one that is suggested for Gnome;

GNOME installation docs suggest adding gnome_enable="YES" to rc.conf.  There is no suggestion regarding /etc/ttys.

> (I think it is the correct name, or "startkde4" maybe)

Ok

With respect from someone who wants to "get it right" and "not be dependent on the mailing list", I have a question:

The KDE installation page make does not describe:
- rc.conf entries, if any
- tty settings, if any
- KDM start procedures, if any
- the name of the .xinitrc command to start KDE, if any

Does this mean:
a) KDE setup is obvious and I am dumb for not knowing
b) I didn't read the man page well enough
c) KDE is meant for power users, I should stick with GNOME.
d) [your idea here]

> And a general note: The "Step 2" does not belong to the
> installation,
> it already belongs to configuration (i. e. enabling the
> just installed
> piece of software).

I see.  Maybe

e) I'm looking in the wrong place.  Read the docs on "KDE configuration" not "KDE installation".

Thank you all for helping me these last few days,

Chris