/boot is full after running "make installkernel" on FreeBSD 8.0

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Fri Jul 2 14:04:16 UTC 2010

On 07/02/10 13:13, Bruce Cran wrote:
> I have a task on my TODO list to increase the sizes of the partitions in
> sysinstall: for example / goes to 1GB, /var to 4GB. I hope to commit
> the code in the next couple of weeks.

As a matter of idle curiosity with a bit of education thrown in, why 4GB
for /var? The last time I installed a new machine I made / 1GB as I'd
found out from a previous install that 512MB wasn't really enough, and
then decided to make /var bigger than the Handbook said as well and made
it 3GB. This has turned out to be total overkill:

arthur at fileserver> df -h /var
Filesystem      Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad10s1d    2.9G    205M    2.5G     8%    /var

I'm sure my use of this machine is very simple and nowhere near as large
as other people's but a leap of 4-16 times what it currently suggests in
the Handbook seems a bit excessive, especially if people are installing
onto older kit. OTOH, playing devil's advocate with myself, disks are
huge these days so why not?