Bas Smeelen b.smeelen at ose.nl
Fri Jul 2 12:16:37 UTC 2010

On 07/02/2010 02:09 PM, John Almberg wrote:

>>> On that subject... does Ctrl-Alt-Del initiate an orderly shutdown?
>>>

>> If you can't log in -- even on the console -- then rebooting is really
>> your only option.  Ctrl-Alt-Del should bring the system down cleanly if
>> you haven't disabled that functionality.  Otherwise, just toggle the
>> power.
>>
>> The symptoms you're seeing could well be due to filesystem problems or
>> to some filesystem filling up (/tmp is a prime suspect) or due to
>> running out of memory+swap.  Some sort of memory leak sounds pretty
>> likely actually.
>>
>> Probably best to bring the system up in single user mode and run fsck on
>> all the filesystems manually -- that will show if you've got h/w
>> problems with drives and possibly with disk controllers or cabling too.
>>   Then check for overfull filesystems.  You may not find any --
>> rebooting
>> can clear a number of conditions where disk space is not released back
>> to the OS properly after use.  You may or may not find any clues as to
>> what went wrong in the system logs.  In the absence of any other clues,
>> the only option is to monitor the server closely and wait for something
>> similar to happen again.  Hopefully if there is a next time, you'll be
>> able to catch it and fix the underlying problem before it takes the
>> machine out a second time.
>>

> Yes, I can't log in. I get a login prompt, but no password prompt. I'm
> going to try ctrl-alt-del and see what happens.
>
> Crossing fingers...
Sorry  I missed that you can't login.
Good luck

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is for the intended recipient(s) only. Access, disclosure, copying,
distribution or reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited. If you have received it
by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system.