Convert all packages to ports

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Fri Jul 2 00:28:53 UTC 2010

Chris Stankevitz wrote:
> --- On Thu, 7/1/10, Glen Barber <glen.j.barber at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Once "ports" or "packages" are installed,
>> there is no
>> differentiation to the system.
>
> Interesting.  If this is true, then I can just start upgrading my
 > 'pkg_add' installed packages using ports and eventually they will
 > all be converted over to 'make'.
>
> However, your comment seems to be in disagreement with online
 > warnings of "do not mix 'pkg_add' packages with 'make' ports".

The ports tree will always be ahead (a bit) of the packages,
since the packages take time to build and push out to the FTP
servers.

You end up with some problems because the system expects
version $n.123 of "somepackage" but the installed "somepackage"
is $n.121, and vice-versa problems can happen as well.  They
are fairly minor to fix if you've done it much, but can be
responsible for a heckuva lot of list traffic.

Kevin Kinsey