rc.conf: gnome_enable="YES" - which instructions executed?

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 1 17:05:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 22:03:04 -0700 (PDT)
Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I would like to learn more about how rc operates.  I want to know
> where on the hard drive the instructions are located that activate
> when I say gnome_enable="YES".  I naively thought I would find a file
> called "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/gnome" -- but I did not.  Something more
> complicated is going on.  So my question is -- how is this working?

Normally it works they way you thought it did - this is special case.

Mostly "*_enable" variables are defaulted to NO, but those five scripts
set their default from gnome_enable, which in turn is defaulted to NO.

By setting  gnome_enable="YES" you can start all the daemons that Gnome
needs without having to know which they are, and without having to keep
track of them as Gnome is upgraded. And you can still turn-off things
you don't want e.g.:

gnome_enable=YES
gdm_enable=NO