Reinstalling a package

Alejandro Imass ait at p2ee.org
Thu Jul 1 11:30:36 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 7:18 AM, Glen Barber <glen.j.barber at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 7/1/10 5:28 AM, Alejandro Imass wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 2:10 AM, Chris Stankevitz
>> <chrisstankevitz at yahoo.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-gnome/2010-June/024394.html
>>>
>>> In the above post, a FreeBSD GNOME team member recommends "rebuilding and
>>> reinstalling sysutils/polkit, sysutils/policykit, and sysutils/consolekit".
>>>
>>> Q: How do I "rebuild and reinstall" these applications when they were
>>> installed originally via "pkg_add -r gnome2"?
>>>
>>> A: "pkg_add -r polkit" [fails with the message "already installed"]
>>
>> I have the same problem and asked a while back but got no answer. My
>> Gnome is partially broken because of a stupid libpng and libjpg
>> upgrade and I would like to re-install the whole thing from binary.
>>

> If you are going to rebuild libpng and libjpg, you will need to rebuild all
> ports that depend on those libraries, not just the gnome-specific ports.
>
> You might want to have a look at ports-mgmt/portmaster.  Also have a look at
> /usr/ports/UPDATING, entry 20100328 for libpng.

Thanks Glen. I did that, but my Gnome was from binary and I have been
unable to find the old png lib and had to forcebly softlink to the png
lib, which although works good enough to start Gnome, it's kind-a
unstable (icons are broken, Nautilus chokes many times trying to draw
the icon files, etc. etc.). So all I want to do is re-install Gnome
from binary in the hopes it will install with it, the corresponding
png/jpg libs. I am also a bit scared that the binary package will
overwrite my newer libs which were updated from ports, with portmaster
in fact.