pkg_add fails due to 'broken pipe'. Is my system in a consistent state?

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Thu Jul 1 05:33:28 UTC 2010

Chris Stankevitz wrote:
> pkg_add -r gnome2
>
> This command fails repeatedly with "broken pipe" because the FTP
 > connection breaks.  When it dies, I just re-run the command.  I'm now on the fifth attempt.
>
> The gnome2 package is a "meta" package that installs many other packages.
>
> Q1: Is it bad for my FreeBSD system that I keep re-issuing the command
 > "pkg_add -r gnome2"?  I'm happy FreeBSD isn't responding "already installed".

Shouldn't be bad for the system, unless you get a lil' P.O.'ed (and hack it
to bits, for example).

> Q2: Where on my hard drive are the bytes that tell pkg_add to use
 > ftp.freebsd.org when downloading packages?

You mean like inode number, which cylinder, or are you looking for
/usr/ports/x11/gnome2/Makefile?  (Which, as it's a meta-port, will
probably just mean you need to look at about 120 other Makefiles).

> Q3: I've been using this internet connection for years downloading
 > packages for other OSes without trouble.  Why is pkg_add/fetch having so much trouble?

Firewall?  Try setting PASSIVE in your environment.  Otherwise,
I dunno.  Any error message from fetch?

HTH,

KDK