rc.conf: gnome_enable="YES" - which instructions executed?

Chris Stankevitz chrisstankevitz at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 1 05:03:08 UTC 2010

> From: Rob Farmer <rfarmer at predatorlabs.net>
> >
> > Q: Where on my hard drive can I find the instructions
> executed to "enable" GNOME?
>
> This enables dbus, avahi, hal, and gdm (assuming that they
> are
> installed, of course). See the files for those things in
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d for the details of what is run.
>
> See:
> http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#full-gnome

Rob,

Thank you for your response.  I also saw that comment in the docs; however, I am actually not interested in knowing what gnome_enable="YES" does.  I should have been more clear.

I would like to learn more about how rc operates.  I want to know where on the hard drive the instructions are located that activate when I say gnome_enable="YES".  I naively thought I would find a file called "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/gnome" -- but I did not.  Something more complicated is going on.  So my question is -- how is this working?

Thank you,

Chris