Pain finding packages

Joe Springer joespr at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 30 19:15:06 UTC 2010

Hi.

I am very new to FreeBSD with several years of Linux experience. After installed FreeSDB for the first time, I wanted to install some packages. For example, samba.

I found that

   pkg_add -r samba

fails. I need to know specifically the samba version to install it.

To install, I needed do this:
   pkg_add -r samba3

This is difficult. Do I need to look up every package in advance on your website to understand what version I need to install?

Isn't there a way to specify "Install the latest version of some package that is appropriate to the version of my installed FreeBSD"?

Thanks,
Joe