Replacing base NTP with ports NTP

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 30 15:34:42 UTC 2010

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 02:06:53 +1100
David Rawling <djr at pdconsec.net> articulated:

> Greetings all and sundry
>
> About 3 months ago I built myself a time server using 8.0-RC3, IIRC,
> and I upgraded to 8.0-RELEASE (and now -p2). Naturally, as I want
> this server to provide time services, I've installed the net/ntp
> port, among others.
>
> Recently, for reasons that have become lost in the mists of time, I
> noticed that I wasn't running the port version of NTP
> (/usr/local/sbin/ntpd), but the version installed with the base
> system (/usr/sbin/ntpd).
>
> For the immediate term, I've renamed the base versions of the files
> in /usr/sbin, and then symlinked to the port version (in /usr/local)
> - ntpd is now the ports version, as are most of the tools. This does,
> however, seem like a rather silly way of getting the most current
> NTPd running.
>
> I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to get the Ports version
> of NTP to overwrite the base system's NTP. Yet I'm sure (since there
> *is* a port of NTP) there must be a better way to do this.
>
> Can anyone point me in the direction of some documentation?
>
> Dave.

From the /etc/defaults/rc.conf file:

ntpdate_enable="NO"             # Run ntpdate to sync time on boot (or NO).
ntpdate_program="/usr/sbin/ntpdate"     # path to ntpdate, if you want a different one.
ntpdate_flags="-b"              # Flags to ntpdate (if enabled).
ntpdate_config="/etc/ntp.conf"  # ntpdate(8) configuration file
ntpdate_hosts=""                # Whitespace-separated list of ntpdate(8) servers.
ntpd_enable="NO"                # Run ntpd Network Time Protocol (or NO).
ntpd_program="/usr/sbin/ntpd"   # path to ntpd, if you want a different one.
ntpd_config="/etc/ntp.conf"     # ntpd(8) configuration file
ntpd_sync_on_start="NO"         # Sync time on ntpd startup, even if offset is high
ntpd_flags="-p /var/run/ntpd.pid -f /var/db/ntpd.drift"
                                # Flags to ntpd (if enabled).

Enter the appropriate line(s) into your /etc/rc.conf file. DO NOT
modify the /etc/defaults/rc.conf file.

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

You will soon meet a person who will play an important role in your
life.