named "error sending response: not enough free resources"

James Smallacombe up at 3.am
Thu Jan 28 18:59:39 UTC 2010

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> Hi--

> OK, if the nameserver is published / authoritative, then it would be expected to be fielding requests from the Internet at large.

To follow up on this: Noticed the issue again this morning, which also was
accompanied by latency so high that I could not connect (some pings got
through at very high latency).  I emailed the provider and they told me
that they had my port on their Ether switch set to 10Mbs.  They switched
it to 100Mbs and only time will tell if that fixes it.

Does this sound like it could be the entire cause?  I ask because I've
maxed out pipes before, but never seen it shut all traffic down this much.
One key difference that I forgot to mention is that this server is running
TWO instances of named, on two different IPs (for different domains), each
running a few hundred zones.

Bottom line:  Would congestion cause this issue, or would this issue cause
congestion?

Thanks again!

up at 3.am							    http://3.am