Help booting FreeBSD with a ZFS root filesystem

krad kraduk at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 26 15:46:23 UTC 2010

2010/1/26 Randal L. Schwartz <merlyn at stonehenge.com>

> krad> Not sure if there will be any issues with hostid being different. I
> krad> presume the pool is imported with a -f option on boot
>
> No.  The bootloader will not work with drives that were not imported at
> time
> of shutdown.  One of the things I learned the hard way.
>
> I kept "exporting" after installation, out of my OCD to "cleanly unmount"
> everything before shutting down, and then cursed at my machine for not
> seeing the disk on boot.  After four times of installing from scratch,
> I finally followed the instructions precisely (*without* the export),
> and it worked just fine.
>
> So, no, the bootloader will not import and especially not import -f.
>
> --
> <merlyn at stonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
> See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside
> discussion

thats not what i meant. The pool could be in an imported state. However the
pool knows who imported it, or rather the hostid of the machine. If you
import it on another machine and dont export it then try to import it on
another machine you have to use the -f flag. Not sure if this hostid
mismatch would cause an issue on boot as i haven't tested it.

You are right about exporting it does totally bugger all, hence my 1st post
on this thread