Help booting FreeBSD with a ZFS root filesystem

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Tue Jan 26 12:34:36 UTC 2010

krad wrote:
> 2010/1/26 Ross Penner <ross.penner at gmail.com>
>
>> That seems to have been the problem.
>>
>> Thanks for the help.
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 5:29 PM, George Liaskos <geo.liaskos at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I had the same issue because i forgot to copy the zpool.cache under
>>> /zroot/boot/zfs.

> once you have generated the zpool.cache never never never export the boot
> pool again. Exporting isnt the same as unmounting (a common misconception).
> If you do export it the pool will become unbootable.

Out of curiosity (because I had this problem a few weeks back), how does
one move a bootable pool into another physical server in order to be
able to see the pool as a 'data' set without exporting/importing, and
then moving the pool back to the hardware that it normally boots from?

Perhaps I was lucky when copying the cache back onto itself worked...

Steve