8.0-RELEASE/amd64 - full ZFS install - low read and write disk performance

Artem Belevich fbsdlist at src.cx
Mon Jan 25 17:27:27 UTC 2010

aoc-sat2-mv8 was somewhat slower compared to ICH9 or LSI1068
controllers when I tried it with 6 and 8 disks.
I think the problem is that MV8 only does 32K per transfer and that
does seem to matter when you have 8 drives hooked up to it. I don't
have hard numbers, but peak throughput of MV8 with 8-disk raidz2 was
noticeably lower than that of LSI1068 in the same configuration. Both
LSI1068 and MV2 were on the same PCI-X bus. It could be a driver
limitation. The driver for Marvel SATA controllers in NetBSD seems a
bit more advanced compared to what's in FreeBSD.

I wish intel would make cheap multi-port PCIe SATA card based on their
AHCI controllers.

--Artem