Finding Drivers For winWiFi Card

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Jan 24 04:45:25 UTC 2010

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:26:33 -0600, Programmer In Training <pit at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us> wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> set up eth0 (wired NIC, realtek) as that would mean lugging my box
> >> halfway across the house into a room with no room in it for me and my
> >> [...]
> [...]
> #ifconfig
> rl0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
> 	options=8<VLAN_MTU>
> 	ether 00:40:ca:35:6c:09
> 	media: ethernet autoselect
> 	status: no carrier
> plip0: flags=8810<POINTTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
> lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
> 	options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
> 	inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3 [I am absolutely sure that
> percent sign is correct]
> 	inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
> 	inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
>
> Should I assume that rl0 is the wireless? I'm not sure what plip0 is and
> I know lo0 is my wired nic.

You've already given the correct answer: Realtek wired NIC.
This the rl driver; "eth" is a Linuxism, in FreeBSD every NIC,
wireless or wired, is represented by a device file named after
the driver.

If you're not sure what something is, try FreeBSD's excellent
manpage system. You'll be surprised how much information is
in there, in opposite to many Linusi:

	% whatis lo
	lo(4)                    - software loopback network interface

The lo0 is NOT your wired NIC. That's this one:

	% whatis rl
	rl(4)                    - RealTek 8129/8139 Fast Ethernet device driver

You can access information about nearly everything in FreeBSD
via the apropos, whatis and man commands - be it system binaries,
library functions, kernel calls, configuration files, maintenance
procedures and misc. documentation topics.

So THAT's awesome! :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany