Restarting after Make Install....

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 20 11:44:09 UTC 2010

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 20:13:33 -0500
Roger Roger <rnodal at gmail.com> articulated:

> I'm not a FreeBSD expert so I cannot speak about what is considered
> "best pratices" but I never restart my server after doing a port
> install/reinstall/upgrade/removal. I guess the only time you will need
> to do that is when your port may be a kernel module that cannot be
> unloaded/reloaded without causing major problems.

I only do a ports update when there are a significance number of
programs that I have installed that have updates available. If the
major players like OpenLDAP, MySQL, Postfix, Apache, etc are all to be
updated at one time, I usually choose to reboot after the process has
completed. It is not that I feel it is absolutely necessary; but rather
that I want to insure that they will in fact all start up correctly,
and in some cases, like Postfix, in the correct order. I have on rare
occasions found discrepancies on how the system starts and performs
after a major update. At worst, you lose only a minute or so of up time,
assuming your machine is not a mission critical one. At best, you
might discover a problem that might have gone unknown for an extended
period of time. I think that the old English saying: "six of one, a
half dozen of the other" is appropriate to the situation.

Just my 2¢.

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.