any port use /dev/dsp directly?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Fri Jan 15 20:38:35 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 11:12:17AM -0600, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Jan 14), Gary Kline said:
> > On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 05:08:25PM -0600, Dan Nelson wrote:

	[[ ... ]]

> > >   sox myfile.wav -b 16 -e signed -r 22050 -c 2 myfile.raw
> > >
> > > will convert the wav file (whatever its format is) to a signed 16-bit
> > > stereo raw file.  For raw files, you can also use special file
> > > extensions that specify the encoding ("myfile.s16" for example, for a
> > > signed 16-bit file).  Adding "-V3" to the beginning of the command will
> > > print the full input and output specs, plus the filter chain required to
> > > do the conversion (if any).  The sox and soxformat manpages are pretty
> > > comprehensive.
> > >

> > yes, the man page is thorough, but almost unreadable, at least to me.  i
> > found a tutorial with exaples that should the WAV to RAW conversion.  on
> > my freebsd desktop, sox didn't like it.  it kept echoing the usage.
>
> That is a bit annoying, yes, but right before the usage test, it should have
> printed an error message saying what it didn't like about your commandline.
>
> > on my ubuntu system, sox failed completely complaining that that it wasn't
> > set for "auto" .....  [?] I checked again here to see if sox as play would
> > work, and it does.  so at least that much works.
> >
> > the error output escapes me.  doesn't the ``-r 22050'' specify the
> > sampling rate?
>
> Yes, but that was during the wav->raw conversion.  The sample rate wasn't
> stored in the raw file, because raw files are just that: raw audio data,
> with no headers indicating sampling rate for encoding format.  For the play
> command to be able to handle a raw file, it needs to be told the rate and
> format when it's run.
>
> > play FAIL formats: bad input format for file `myfile.raw': sampling rate was not specified

	Hm.  Well, once I'm further along in this stuff I'll ask your help
	again.  I made more changes, happily advancing my project, just before
	I threw in the towel and went to watch the news.  Spiders were gluing me
	to the desk with their webs.  One immediate thought is that the -r
	22050 may have been way too large since the WAV file is 8000Hz and
	mono.  It is small as-is, but it wouldn't hurt to have it shrung by
	stripping off the header.

	just a thought.

    The 7.79a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php