sendmail issues - make fails to create aliases.db in /etc/mail

Jim stapleton.41 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 17:56:25 UTC 2010

>        What happens if you do a grep aliases in /etc/mail?  In my sensmail
>        files I see references to aliases in the config *.cf and Makefile,
>        and the aliases file itself.

as in ls `/etc/mail | grep aliases` or `cat /etc/mail/* | grep aliases`
The former shows the file 'aliases' only. The latter (getting rid of
lines starting with # to clean up a bunch of crud)
[sjss at elrond /data/jail/mail-jail/etc/mail]$ cat * | grep -a 'aliases'
| grep -avE '^#'
SENDMAIL_ALIASES?=      /etc/mail/aliases
all: cf maps aliases
aliases: ${SENDMAIL_ALIASES:%=%.db}
O AliasFile=/etc/mail/aliases
vrfy            Verify an address.  If you want to see what it aliases
O AliasFile=/etc/mail/aliases
newaliases      /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail
O AliasFile=/etc/mail/aliases

Find shows the following files contain 'aliases' in non-comment lines:
./mailer.conf
./freebsd.cf
./freebsd.submit.cf
./helpfile
./sendmail.cf
./submit.cf
./Makefile
./aliases
./mail-jail.cf
./mail-jail.submit.cf

>        Did you edit any of these files?  Should work by default.
I edited: access, aliases, local-host-names, virtusertable.sample
(and apparantly forgot to copy the latter to virtualusertable, so it
shouldn't affect anything anyway)

-Jim Stapleton