a question on ZFS boot/root in 8.0-RELEASE

Dan Naumov dan.naumov at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 10:53:40 UTC 2010

Hello list.

My concern is this: I really really like freebsd-update and want to
continue using it. Freebsd-update however, assumes that no part of
your base system has been compiled by hand, it's intended to be used
to update from official binaries to other official binaries. I am also
gathering (from things I've read so far) that you HAVE to build a
custom loader if you want to boot off a ZFS mirror or raidz... but
what about a non-redundant ZFS pool as system root in 8.0-RELEASE? Can
I have a full ZFS FreeBSD installation on a non-redundant ZFS pool and
have the system boot off it without having to compile anything
manually with the existing binaries provided on the 8.0 install DVD?

- Sincerely,
Dan Naumov