Jails - Ethernet data vs IP data

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 04:21:41 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I bought a new SiliconDust HDHomeRun device which brings two Digital
coaxial tuners to an ethernet network.  From what I read and
understand about the HDHomeRun ("HDHR"), is that it does have an IP
address assigned to the system, but all packets of video are actually
just raw Ethernet packets/data that has it's own payload and protocol.

The port MythTV (to which I'm starting to love) maintainer has marked
the two pieces of MythTV as conflicting ports (I'll address to the
maintainer directly), so I build the frontend (the user interface if
you will) on the host, because it needs lots of X11/xorg.  The backend
runs as a daemon talking with MySQL to manage everything.  Since they
conflict, the backend goes onto a jail.

I have to port-compile the backend every time, the packages have
missing dependencies.  It takes quite a while.  I know the HDHR is
online, I can watch the video without MythTV interaction, but the
jailed backend isn't seeing it.  So I was hoping to see if I can query
the group and see if "raw ethernet data" can be delivered to a jail,
or if I'm just fishing in the empty fish bowl trying to get this to
work in a jail.

Thanks for <ANY> input in regards to limits the jail system might
have.  This is on a golden 8.0-RELEASE i386, haven't updated it yet.

Thanks loads!

--Tim