sshfs, nfs, etc. on FreeBSD

Nerius Landys nlandys at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 00:21:31 UTC 2010

I'm looking for a lightweight, secure, and non-intrusive file sharing
system for 2 servers in a data center.  For example I'd like to [as an
ordinary user] temporarily mount the home directory (/usr/home/) of
one server to a temporary mount point on the other server, and then,
assuming my user has sufficient read permissions, I'd like to run some
files in the home directories through a log file parser that I wrote.

Now I'm not a really big fan of NFS.  I've just heard about sshfs.  Is
this a recommended way to go?  If so, is there any official
documentation on how to get sshfs going on FreeBSD?  If there are some
better options than sshfs, what are they?  I don't really want to scp
copy files between the 2 servers.