Failed to Load Kernel

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Fri Jan 8 01:26:14 UTC 2010

Programmer In Training wrote:
> On 1/6/2010 5:07 PM, Programmer In Training wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>> After testing out the boot disk on my mom's laptop, I have determined
>> there is an error somewhere with my computer. I don't know what it is or
>> where to even begin to look to fix it, but my computer is toast.
>>

> BIOS:
> Phoenix - AwardBIOS
>
> Attached Hardware:
> Sound Blaster Live!
> Generic USB expansion PCI Card
> Pentium IV 2.4GHz
> 2GB RAM
> HP DVD Writer 1040r
> NEC CD-RW NR-9100A
> 6GB WD WD64AA
> ATI Radeon 9200 (AGP)
> ZoneNet 10/100 Wireless NIC
> LinkSys 10/100 wired NIC
>
> Monitor:
> CTX LCD
>
> No floppy disk drive (none hooked up anyway)
> ZIP100 internal drive (not hooked up to anything)
>
> None of the attached hardware I saw specifically listed as being
> compatible, but none of it listed as incompatible, either.
>
> The two optical drives are known to work (obviously if I can get so far
> as attempting to load the kernel). The only thing I can think of is the
> hard drive (unknown previous working condition, although claimed to be
> in good order).
>
> Just to test, though, I'm going to swap out the CD-RW for a 52x CD-ROM.
> I have no other hard drives to test with (my 32GB drive, known to work,
> is MIA).

Hmm, having two optical drives might rise up and bite one's tushy;
It could be that you're booting from a drive in BIOS that gets
reassigned by the kernel to be "number two", and the kernel's
attempting to find it one "number one".  NO idea for certain, but
such things have happened in the past, I think.

You might trying disconnecting one optical drive and trying
again.

Kevin Kinsey