Possible mysql.sock problem | ERROR 2002 (HY000)

Michael Powell nightrecon at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 7 23:30:26 UTC 2010

jaymax wrote:

> Thanks !!!
> Got it resolved after adding
> mysql_socket="/usr/tmp/mysql.sock" to the rc.conf file
> Removing the /etc/my.cnf file as the aetting were redundant with those
> used in the compilation
> deinstalling and reinstalling both the server and the client

[snip]

The "new" default location for my.cnf as installed by the ports system is
now /usr/local/etc, although MySQL will still find it if it is in
mysql_dbdir.

MySQL startup will skip it if it has world write permissions on it, more
specific info is in the docs. I just chmod mine 444 when I'm done with it as
it is something I don't change once configured. But if you have two of them
the permissions thingy can be the cause of why it skips over and ignores the
one you think it should be using.

-Mike