Setup FTP service on FreeBSD 2.0.5?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Jan 6 10:38:29 UTC 2010

Paul Shi wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am trying to find a way to setup a wireless network with a FreeBSD server
> machine running FTP service. The release of FreeBSD I intend to use is 2.0.5
> but I could not find anything on how to setup FTP service on FreeBSD 2.0.5
> in handbook. There are only howto on PPP and SLIP. Does anyone have a
> handbook on how to enable FTP service on FreeBSD 2.0.5? Millions thanks!

Does FreeBSD 2.0.5 even have any support for wireless networking devices?

As I recall for that vintage of FreeBSD, it was simply a matter of uncommenting
the appropriate line in /etc/inetd.conf and (re)starting inetd -- there are no
rc.subr scripts in a system that old, so to restart inetd, you'ld have to do
something like:

   # kill -HUP `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`

To start it at all, just run:

   # /usr/sbin/inetd

Enabling it to be automatically started on reboot is pretty much the same as
nowadays: just stick inetd_enable="YES" into /etc/rc.conf.  If you want to
provide anonymous FTP, then I believe there were instructions in the ftpd(8)
man page.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3