FreeBSD versions

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Jan 4 15:05:38 UTC 2010

Mernoz Rostangi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if the FreeBSD 8.0 IA64 can be used on 32bit cpu also ?
>
> If yes, what is the difference between IA64 and x86 versions ?
>
> :-)
> ./m

Nope.  You're mixing up IA64 (the Itanium) with AMD64 (All modern AMD
chips, and Intel chips like the Core 2, Xeon, I7).  amd64 is a historic
name, because AMD invented the architecture, which Intel later copied.
It's frequently called x86_64 in other OSes.

All x86_64 chips can also run in x86 (32 bit) mode.  As far as I know,
IA64 was only ever a 64 bit architecture.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW