sendmail: open-relay

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Jan 4 13:42:39 UTC 2010

Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:
> Am Montag, den 04.01.2010, 13:02 +0000 schrieb Matthew Seaman:
>> Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:

>>> I am running my own small mail-server, i.e. I use my desktop pc for
>>> sending and receiving my private mails.
>>> That worked quite nicely the last years. From time to time I tested
>> my
>>> mail-server via abuse.net's mail-relay tester. - Never got any
>>> positives.
>>> Now suddenly I receive one:

>>> Any ideas?
>> Plenty.  But it would help a great deal if you showed us your
>> ${hostname}.mc.

> O.K. this is my complete pukruppa.net.mc
> divert(-1)
> #
[...]

which is exactly the same as the default freebsd.mc -- nothing suspicious
there.

Hmmm...  anything unusual (ie to do with domains not local to your machine)
in /etc/mail/local-host-names or /etc/mail/virtusertable  or
/etc/mail/mailertable?  You're definitely running with that config file,
and you don't have anything like OpenBSD spamd(8) running that could intercept
incoming SMTP traffic?

If that's so, then I can't see how your machine could be an open relay.  The
abuse.net relay tester must have been having a bad day.  In fact, can you
find the records in /var/mail/maillog to show abuse.net's server connecting
to yours in order to do the testing?  It may be that it was connecting to somewhere else entirely.  Or it was somehow trying to test relaying using
an address that was somehow actually valid on your system.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW