FreeBSD 2.0.5 Release

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 13:24:37 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 7:32 AM, Paul Shi <shihang at hkusua.hku.hk> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am looking for a FreeBSD release which is most similar to 4.4 BSD-Lite
> and
> I chose FreeBSD 2.0.5, the oldest release since 4.4 BSD-Lite. However,
> after
> downloading iso file from archive
>

> ftp://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/
> <
> ftp://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/4.3/
> >

> and burning to CDROM, it still will not boot from CDROM. The burning
> process
> should be fine since I just got it correctly as some of you may be aware.
> So
> I wondering if it is possible that the ISO file has been broken. Is there
> any one who maintains older archive know the validity of ISO file. Thank
> you
> very much!
>
> Your sincerely,
> Paul Shi
> Electronic and Communication Engineering Senior
> Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
> University of Hong Kong

Those first FreeBSD releases can NOT boot from present IDE or SATA CD-ROM
drives but from older type drives such as previous Sound Blaster sound card
attached CD-ROM drives which they are NOT IDE drives .

Please check this issue .

I do NOT know how to generate an .iso from those older FreeBSD sources to
enable them to boot from IDE or SATA CD-ROM drives or from USB sticks .

Perhaps you may start booting from floppies . The manual associated with
FreeBSD 2.0.5 may contain information about booting from floppies .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk