Compiled Xmms2 on FreeBSD 8 from ports but no output plugin?

Kaya Saman SamanKaya at netscape.net
Sun Jan 3 18:32:41 UTC 2010

Hi guys,

I am trying to get xmms2 working on my server as I want to tie it into
Icecast2 in order to stream music to my network.

I'm having major problems with getting xmms2 to work though!

This is output from /var/log/messages:

Jan  3 20:16:55 test kernel: pid 1218 (xmms2-mdns-avahi), uid 500:
exited on signal 6 (core dumped)

If I try to start it I get issues with the output plugin as it doesn't
seem to like wave:

$ xmms2d
 INFO: ../src/xmms/log.c:49: Initialized logging system :)
20:24:47  INFO: ../src/xmms/ipc.c:795: IPC listening on
'tcp://192.168.1.100:9090'.
20:24:47  INFO: ../src/xmms/main.c:517: Using output plugin: wave
20:24:47 ERROR: ../src/xmms/main.c:521: Baaaaad output plugin, try to
change theoutput.plugin config variable to something usefull
20:24:47 ERROR: ../src/xmms/output.c:981: initalized output without a
plugin, please fix!
Starting XMMS2 phone home agent...
Starting XMMS2 mDNS Agent...
Failed to create Avahi client: Daemon not running
Assertion failed: (client), function avahi_client_free, file client.c,
line 613.

I am sure that xmms2 will start without the Avahi client though as I
have no plans to install that since I am using static IP addressing
which means I won't need Avahi......
(would it be better to recompile or can I leave like this??)

Anyway if anyone can help me with resolving these errors I would be so
grateful!

In addition I need to create a startup script for xmms2-launcher so that
I can run the app as a daemon in the background only I am not very
familiar with BSD or startup scripts in general so if anyone can help
that would be cool too!

Incase it helps: $ uname -a
FreeBSD test.optiplex-networks.com 8.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE #0:
Sat Nov 21 15:48:17 UTC 2009
root at almeida.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Many thanks and best regards to all!! :-)

P.s. many of you saw my initial email which I posted pre building this
server. I actually have come to really quite like BSD as it doesn't take
any power from the system at all or even use much HD space either. I
mean ports needs about 1GB but I seem to do get round things clogging
with make install clean. BTW thanks to all who helped out on that!

--Kaya