Problems building en-openoffice.org-GB-3.1.1 from ports

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Jan 2 19:57:31 UTC 2010

Mike Clarke wrote:
> After successfully moving from 6.4 to 8.0 by doing a clean install I've
> embarked on the task of rebuilding OpenOffice from ports :-(
>
> I'm getting a confusing error in the config stage:

> ===>  Configuring for en-openoffice.org-GB-3.1.1
> <snip>
> checking for
> gperf... /backup/tmp/ports/work/usr/ports/editors/openoffice.org-3/work/OOO310_m19/solenv/bin/gperf
> checking gperf version... /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared
> object "libstdc++.so.5" not found, required by "gperf"
> test: : bad number
> configure: error: too old, you need at least 3.0.0
> ===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.

gperf comes with the base system as well:

% /usr/bin/gperf --version
GNU gperf 2.7.2

but it is certainly possible to build OOo under FreeBSD 8.0 --
it will install the ports version of gperf as a build dependency.

> True enough I don't have a native libstdc++.so.5 .
>
> /usr/local/lib/gcc/i386-portbld-freebsd6.4/3.4.6/libstdc++.so.6

^^^ Looks like something that was installed under FreeBSD 6.4.  Dunno
    what in the up-to-date ports tree would need gcc-3.4 since the base
    system is now up to gcc-4.2, and that's quite capable of compiling
    OOo.

> /usr/local/lib/compat/libstdc++.so.4

^^^ This is from the compat6x port

> /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6

^^^ the version from 8.0 base system

libstdc++.so.5 would be part of a 7.x base system, but as you've gone
to 8.0 by doing a clean install, nothing should be referencing that
version.  What does 'ldd /usr/local/bin/gperf' tell you?

At a guess you haven't followed the often repeated advice to reinstall
/all/ your ports when you do a major version upgrade.  That means
recompile from source in correct dependency order, or install pkgs compiled
under 8.0.  Yes, it's tedious.  Yes, it consumes a lot of CPU cycles.  But
now you understand why this is good advice...

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW